Wednesday, October 26, 2011

No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

On Sunday around noon Katelynn and Ben were getting ready for church in our bedroom and I was in the kitchen getting a quick lunch ready for us. I heard a thud and crying and knew that Ben was back there so, he was consoling her while is finished things up. She was jumping on our bed and fell off. The only problem was that she was crying A LOT. She would be okay for a minute and then crying and whining the next. Yes, she can cry and whine in a seconds notice but I knew that this was different. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't see any blood, major bumps or bruises.
I had to be at church since it was the Primary Program that day. We decided to go to church. She was a mess throughout church, she wasn't happy in Nursery, which she usually loves. We got home and the crying and whining continued until bath time when I finally saw the knot and bruise on her right collar. It was 6pm on a Sunday and decided that taking her to an urgent care was too risky since they might not be able to treat her fully since she was two. I took her out to the Children's Hospital, while Ben stayed home with Mark. We got to the ER at 7pm and were the only ones there! We went right back to triage and a MD had seen us by 7:30 to tell us that she had a collar bone fracture. They would still do x-rays to make sure, but the MD knew that it was that. I did have a feeling once I saw where she was hurting that that was the problem.
The longest part was waiting to get into x-ray. Luckily I had my phone and so we played some games and watched some Sesame Street to pass the time. She was still all over the bed trying to get to everything but finally the tech came and then we had the wrestle of a life time. Katelynn REALLY did not like the x-ray machine. We had to pin her down with three 10 lb sand bags on her legs and me on her chest making sure that they got the shots they needed. Three x-rays later, I saw her tiny little collarbone snapped like a twig.
So, what is the treatment for a broken collarbone? keeping it immobile with a sling for 3-4 weeks. HAHA! Did they see that she was a crazy two year old!? So, we will keep her in the sling and try to do what we can to have this heal properly. She hasn't fought me putting it on but it didn't quite stay where it needed to. So, I had to rig it by putting a couple safety pins on it to keep her arm more immobile. We were discharged from ER and home by 9pm. Now that is the quickest ER visit that I have ever been through and I didn't even tell them I worked there.
She has been babying it by not lifting it above her head or using it to eat somethings with. She doesn't put all her weight on it. So, I know that it does hurt her just enough to remind her to keep it still, but not enough to keep her down. She is still on the go and doing everything that she can. There is a knot on the collar bone at the break where the bone is healing which our pediatrician said was normal, it should heal just fine. We will know in a few weeks if she still doesn't have full range of motion if the break is healing correctly.
She is back to old her whiny self, which I know how to handle.

Us waiting to be discharged after the x-rays. She was looking at the Curious George decals on the wall.


1 comment:

Amy Nielson said...

That is scary. Glad she is ok!