Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Garden

Last year Sarah had found a new and seemingly easier method for gardening. So, After she had successfully did square foot gardening last year I knew that if we ever planted a garden again it would be like that.
Well, little did I know that Ben was very anxious to have a garden. I told him that he would need to clear the spot and get a lot of the work done for it so that we would have a growing garden. After a week of clearing a spot, building a box, filling it with dirt, putting a fence around so that the dogs would stay away, and fixing a sprinkler line that we were trying to avoid we had a spot ready for plants.
We were a little late in the the whole seeding and planning phase of this whole thing so we got some plants that had been started. Next year I hope to have a better plan going, since this was a very last minute thing.
We planted 2 cucumbers, 2 tomatoes, 2 zucchini, 2 green peppers and one parsley. I just hope they grow. I put them on a drip line, which makes it nice for me to not have to remember to water.

Our box is 6 feet by 6 feet. We bought 12 foot boards and Ben cut them in half. Notice the rose bush, there it is and...


...now it's gone. Ben was also cleaning that entire area as we were working on the garden. It needed alot of attention, as in 3 green waste bins full and we didn't even get to mowing the lawns.


This was the garden today it is about two weeks old now and has grown since we planted, so that is a good thing. We did loose a Cucumber because Katelynn was trying to help.


Hopefully this garden will do better than our last attempt. That garden was way too big and the drip line was a mess.

No comments: