So Wednesday night I was playing with Katelynn and noticed a bright red rash on her neck. I wasn't sure if it was heat rash, sensitivity to clothes of the rubbing of her double chin on her neck. She has always had a small rash, but this was way more than that. So I called and got an appt for the next day. He checks her out and says it's eczema. Of Course! This little mini me looks exactly like me and I had that as a child so why shouldn't she?
What does this mean? She is lacking a something in her skin to keep it moisturized. which makes her itch and have dry spots. I haven't noticed her itching but I have felt some dry spots on her. So, out with Johnson and Johnson in with Dove and Aquaphor lotion and vasaline for any diaper rashes. I did see a aquaphor baby wash that I might check out. I just have to keep her moisturized so that there are few flare ups and she won't itch. It can get really bad when she starts itching because then it could lead to open sores and that is where the real problem is. Then it could get ugly and infected, which would suck.
If anyone has any advice it would be great. Thanks!

4 comments:
Anna, our kids are so similar! Both of my kiddos have excema...Ellie had it worse. I really liked to wash her in Aveeno baby soothing relief creamy wash. as soon as the bath is over I rubed her down the Aveeno cream. (actually I would rub her down on her hot spots during each diaper change.) Do not let her soak in the tub with soap for long, I also like Eucerin smoothing essentials. Avoid any smelly lotions/soaps, they tended to agravate her. For diaper rashes, we never have had one but I always use Desitin original at bedtime and desitin creamy during the day. As she gets older keep her fingernails cut super short so she can't scratch and hurt herself. I hope this helps. sorry it's so long! :)
Hannah gets it on the inside of her elbows STILL and Josey gets it once in a while too.., their pediatrician recommended Eucerin...it worked the best. Or the Desitin Multi Purpose Ointment works really well.
Eucerin is the company that makes aquaphor. Ammy, I remember being in grade school with the nasty elbows. I FINALLY got the self control not to scratch, it took awhile. Even now I have an urge to scratch. Thanks!
I am not sure what everyone else as suggested. I am to lazy to read them. However, every now and then if I get lazy after showers and do not lotion up I will get these patches too. I went to my dermo doctor a few years ago and she confirmed that it was a mild case of the same thing you girl has. She recommended ONLY Dove soap. The bar and it had to be DOVE WHITE. She also rec. only Aquafor and Cedefil(sp) lotions/creams. All of these things together work like a dream for me and as you know I have crazy sensitive skin. My friend Gina's boy has the worst I have ever seen on a kiddo and she swears by aquafor cream/soaps!! Hope that helps. I wish that you were here.
Post a Comment