I have been a very bad blogger for August. We didn't really do anything or go anywhere and so I didn't really know what to blog about so I will just recap the past week or so.
Wheat
Last week I found a recipe for Banana Breakfast Muffins using wheat flour. I found it in the September issue of Family Fun. I thought that they were really good, I think I might have eaten most of them. The recipe also called for chocolate chips so Ben didn't think that they were a good breakfast food and he also thinks that all muffins are just mini cakes, which I can agree with. Anyways, that doesn't really matter, what the point about all of this is, is that I FINALLY used wheat. I don't know how much wheat we have in our storage, but I know that it is allot and we haven't used one can of it in out 8+ years of marriage. So, using the Kitchen Mill grinder that Ben's parents gave us years ago I milled an entire can of wheat into flour so that I can try and use it for something. I am on a mission to find good wheat recipes. So, let me know if you have any.
After milling the wheat all of the flour doesn't fit into the #10 cans so, I had a few cups of flour that didn't have a home and I needed to use it. I went to my handy dandy recipe books and the first recipe I found called for wheat flour, dry milk and honey. I was pretty stoked to use my food storage and see if it would actually taste good.
I must warn everyone, I am not a bread expert AT ALL. I have killed too many bread recipes and I was very worried when I made it. I made two loaves and they tasted great. A little dense, I don't know how to fix that. I was just excited that the bread actually turned out like bread and not a slab of rock. We have just a quarter of one loaf left.
I think that Katelynn might have felt the effects of wheat, she pooped 5 times yesterday and none of it was diarrhea.
New Mattress
We have wanted a new mattress for a while now and just never would do it. Finally, we weren't sleeping at all and we were waking up sore all the time so we gave in and bought the Costco memory foam mattress. We hated it. It was too warm and to firm for us. We tried it for a week and returned it. We bought the standard mattress that Costco also had and we love it. I am sleeping great now and Ben hasn't complained about it either.
Getting the new mattress left us with the old mattress and box springs. So, we asked around a little seeing if anyone needed a cal king mattress that was 10 years old. We didn't really have a way to get it to anyone so we had no takers. I knew that the city clean-up was coming and we would just put it out for them. It was on the 1st and so we would put the mattress out on the 31st and it would be gone by someone in the morning. Well, the clean-up came a day early and I was devastated that we would have to keep this mattress in our front room til who knows when.
When I left to run some errands on the 1st the clean-up crew was just down our street and I told them my dilemma and they said they were in the area for two more days and we could leave it out and they would pick it up today the 2nd. Woo-Hoo! As soon as Ben got home I VERY urgently made him get that mattress out of our house. I wanted out living room back. At 9:30pm someone knocked on our door wondering about the mattress. Since we put it in the plastic from the new mattress people thought that it was new and that we were nuts. No, we aren't that crazy.
We went to bed and it was out there and by 6:30 when Ben left for work it was gone. The mattress wasn't picked up by the clean-up though since I saw them roll by at 11:30. It is gone and that is all that matters to me.
Katelynn
We went to her 15 month appointment and she weighs 25 lbs and 7 oz and is 34 inches tall. So, you all know that thing where you double there height at two you can see how tall they might grow to be. If she is already 34 inches at 15 months what is she going to be at 24 months. I know that she should slow down now and of course Ben and I are extremely tall ourselves. Think that she is going to be taller than me. I hope she likes being tall. She may not for a while.
Scrapbooking
I ordered a 40 page book for 2009 yesterday. It goes from January to July 5th. I haven't touched 2008 yet. Someday I will.
There's a little/long update for you. Hope you are well and we are still alive.

2 comments:
if you haven't, try this pancake recipe...it uses lots of food storage items...we make it every few months or so...
Blender Wheat Pancakes
1 Cup Milk (translation for powdered milk is 3 T. Milk and 1 C. Water)
1 Cup Wheat Kernels, whole & uncooked
2 Eggs (2 T. powdered eggs 1/4 C. Water)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1-1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbs. Oil
2 Tbs. Honey or Sugar
Put milk and wheat kernels in blender. Blend on highest speed for 4 or 5 minutes or until batter is smooth. Add eggs, oil, baking powder, salt and honey or sugar to above batter. Blend on low. Pour out batter into pancakes from the actual blender jar (only one thing to wash!) onto a hot greased or Pam prepared griddle or large frying pan. Cook; flipping pancakes when bubbles pop and create holes.
Where are the pics of everyone on the mattress in the living room? I was hoping for one of those :)
Post a Comment